The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Officer, Internal Control (AfCDC)
Requisition ID: 2048
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head, Internal Oversight
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Division: Internal Oversight
Job Grade: P3
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Purpose of Job
- The Senior Officer, of Internal Control is responsible for leading and coordinating the Africa CDC’s internal control activities.
- This includes developing and implementing internal control policies and procedures, conducting risk assessments, and monitoring the effectiveness of the internal control system.
- The Senior Officer of Internal Control will also work to promote a culture of compliance within the African CDC.
- Provide support in the preparation and implementation of the programs developed out of the Division’s strategic plan.
- Ensure effective coordination and implementation at various levels.
- Prepare and develop reports, budgets, and work programs related to the functioning of the Division.
- Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders coordination.
- Manage and supervise employees under his/her supervision with regard to organization and performance evaluation.
- Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and Africa CDC’s internal use.
- Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes.
- Prepare budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division, including preparing leaflets, guidelines, and fact sheets as may be required.
- Actively contribute to the development of strategies, policies, programs, and plans.
- Develop and implement internal control policies and procedures.
- Developing and updating the internal control framework and manual of the Africa CDC, in line with the best practices and international standards.
- Conduct periodic reviews and evaluations of the effectiveness and efficiency of the internal control system and identify gaps, weaknesses, and areas for improvement.
- Prepare and present reports and recommendations on internal control issues to the Head of the Internal Oversight Unit and senior management.
- Provide training and awareness-raising activities on internal control principles and practices to staff and stakeholders of the Africa CDC.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other units and departments to ensure alignment and integration of internal control processes and activities across the Africa CDC.
- Support the implementation of the risk management strategy and plan of the Africa CDC and conduct risk assessments and audits as required.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of the Internal Oversight Unit or senior management.
- Conduct risk assessments and identify areas of risk.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the internal control system.
- Promote a culture of compliance within the Africa CDC.
- Provide advice and guidance to management on internal control matters.
- Represent the Africa CDC at regional and international meetings and events on internal control matters.
- Publish articles and reports on internal control matters.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, or a related field.
- CPA or equivalent qualification is a plus.
- At least seven (7) or ten (10) years of relevant experience for Masters and Bachelor Degree holders respectively, including three (3) years at the expert level in internal control or a related field.
- Proven ability to lead and manage complex projects.
- Experience in developing and implementing internal control policies and procedures.
- Experience in conducting risk assessments.
- Experience in monitoring the effectiveness of the internal control system.
- Experience in promoting a culture of compliance.
- Experience in providing advice and guidance on internal control matters.
- Experience in representing international organizations at regional and international meetings and events.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Fluency in English and French. Proficiency in any other additional AU working language will be an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Orientation
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2023 (11h59 p.m. EAT).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
- The African Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less-represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.