CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty.
JOB DESCRIPTION / TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title: Psychosocial Support (PSS) Assistant-Service Provider
Department: Program (GBV-UN Women)
Employment Category: Fixed Term (5 months)
Employment Type: Full-Time
Vacancy Type: National
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Reporting to: GBV Officer
The purpose of this post is to provide day to day management of women and Girls Safe Spaces Psychosocial support related activities in Maiduguri/MMC LGA in the UN Women funded GBV project. The holder of the position will work under the overall supervision of the UN Women GBV Project Coordinator. The PSS Assistant, will coordinate, manage & supervise the direct implementation of community based GBV Prevention and Women & Girls Safe Spaces activities in the above LGA. S/he will work with a team of GBV and PSS staff in 3 other safe spaces in Borno. S/he will work and liaise closely with the GBV Assistants, on coordination of UN Women project GBV activities as per the donor requirements.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
|The PSS Assistant will be responsible for organizing and implementing group psychosocial activities at the women and girls centre including skills and knowledge building activities and recreational activities. She/he is overall lead in community mobilization for psycho education, awareness and sensitization at community level of the project sites in Maiduguri. Major Responsibilities In coordination with beneficiaries, identify relevant skills building and recreational activities to be conducted at the women friendly spaces and draw up a schedule for activity implementation.In coordination with volunteers / partners a weekly schedule for activities in the women center.Identify and make a requisition for all materials required to conduct Women Friendly Space activities.Organize feedback sessions each quarter with beneficiaries of WGSS activities to identify strengths and weaknesses of the space and identify solutions for sharing with GBV Project Coordinator for improvement.Coordinate with the case worker to ensure survivors who have been referred to the women center receive timely and quality services.In coordination with the Project Coordinator and GBV Officer identify barriers to GBV and develop subsequent messages to overcome the barriers.In coordination with women, leaders/SEMA/NEMA organize and oversee the implementation on calendar day celebrations such as 16 days of activism, international women’s day e.t.c.Conduct training and coaching sessions for volunteers / partners to deliver appropriate GBV messages to community members.Supervise community volunteers / partners during field work to ensure correct GBV messages are disseminated to the community.Conduct weekly meetings with volunteers / partners to collect sensitization reports, develop messages for the following week.Organize and implement biweekly discussions with men in the community on GBV related topics.Organize and implement monthly discussion sessions with adolescents on GBV related topics.Compile weekly and monthly WGSS activity reports.Contribute to a positive team environment.Practice self-care.Maintain confidentiality and ethical conduct.Submit weekly and monthly activities reports to the supervisor every Friday and at the end of each month. Education: Diploma or bachelor’s degree (Social sciences; Psychology, Community Health, International Relations, Law, Community Development or relevant Social Sciences.|
- Provide regular feedback to the Project Coordinator on GBV activities.
- Participate in the development of GBV work plans and reviewing them on a monthly basis with the GBV Officer
- Work Conditions
- The position is 100% based in Maiduguri LGAs. There may be minimum travels to Maiduguri for trainings and meetings as requested by the Project Coordinator and GBV Officer. 100% of time to be spent in project locations mainly doing actual activity implementation at the Women and Girls Safe spaces, liaising with and coordinating activities with local implementing partners, community structures, Local Government Authorities, other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the area of operations.
- It is essential that GBV PSS Assistant maintains active presence in the field to ensure proper technical support, implementation and supervision and monitoring of GBV activities.
- Qualification and experience:
The PSS Assistant shall have a suitable combination academic qualification, experience and relevant trainings in the following technical and programmatic requirements for the post:
- At least 3 years’ experience in protection work supervisory responsibilities over national staff, program development, planning and implementation.
- Must have in-depth technical expertise on Protection, Women and Girls’ safe spaces programming and Gender Based Violence related issues including having a clear understanding of gender inequality, and issues surrounding discrimination and violence against women and girls
- Must have experience with operationalizing GBV principles; Human Rights Law, Humanitarian principles and other relevant international standards in a humanitarian aid setting; Well versed with Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS).
- Proficient in community mobilization, challenging social norms/relations, Behavior Change Communication and Case Management with good facilitation skills.
- Proven record of providing trainings and workshops on gender and GBV, SRH, topics in a variety of settings.
- Excellent Analytical, Communication and Report writing skills; Excellent Negotiation and Conflict Resolution skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff, beneficiaries, duty bearers and other stakeholders
- Ability to ensure quality data collection, compile and analyse data to formulate relevant recommendations
- Ability to write quality reports in English and submit them on time
- Disciplined, organized, respect for deadlines, adaptation in a multicultural working environment, tolerance, respect for CARE’s core values and gender
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to work in complex environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to multi task and prioritize activities.
- Must be a good team player that is able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Exemplary customer service and people skills
- Leadership abilities that have been proven in small and large scale arenas
- Problem solving skills that lead to feasible resolutions for the future
- Disciplined, organized, respecting deadlines, adapting to a multicultural work environment, tolerance, respect CARE’s Core values.
- Ability to enhance good interpersonal relationship.
- Good knowledge and application of Microsoft word, Excel and Power Point.
- Application of technical skills and program support
- Good reporting skills
- Quality and timeliness of support provided;
- Observance of policies and procedures;
- Maintenance of relationships;
- Communication and interpersonal skills
Method of Application:
Applicants should submit their applications and detailed CV to the HR focal person for CARE International in Maiduguri.
This position is based in Maiduguri LGAs
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, color, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process. CARE strongly encourage women to apply.
Application Closing date: 26thth October, 2021