Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Project Coordinator – WFP
Location: Gwoza, Borno
- The position holder is overall responsible to lead the food and nutrition security project implementation in Gwoza and working closely with the LGA government stakeholder, Nutrition and food distribution colleagues for the effective implementation and linkage of CMAM program with the community and facility.
- This includes providing guidance and support to the team as well as ensuring proper coordination with other sectors and organizational functions.
- In addition, the position holder is also expected to provide a consistent and high-quality technical support in the project implementation and will assist food and Nutrition officers, and other staff in the LGA to build strong food distribution and nutrition implementation package.
Dimensions of the Role
- To ensure smooth implementation of food security and nutrition projects in Gwoza, Borno state for Humanitarian Support. This includes providing guidance and support to the team as well as ensuring proper coordination with other sectors and organizational functions.
- The Project coordinator will also work closely with other support departments including logistics, finance, MEAL and HR to ensure proper procurement, forecasting and recruitment.
- Oversee the development, Planning, managing and implementing of the food and nutrition security projects funded by UNWFP in consultation and collaboration with the Nutrition specialist and the Emergency Response manager.
- Lead implementation of Food distribution and nutrition activities using appropriate Plan International Nigeria project management tools to plan, review and track progress and quality by the Food security and nutrition team
- Ensure the relevance and implementation of technically-sound beneficiary selection criteria and approaches;
- Ensure tactical plans for all projects are developed and field level activities are set up efficiently under the integrated model to promote food and nutrition security and build community resilience to the effects of climate extremes.
- Oversee programme quality in accordance with Plan International and Donor policies and best practices.
- Build on existing, and seek new synergies for advocacy through the cluster system at LGA level, technical working groups and other fora in Food Security and Nutrition Sector.
- Support cross-sectoral periodic programme reviews to assess programme progress, capture lessons learnt and adapt programme strategies as necessary in accordance with Plan International’s results-based management principles.
- Analyse and report the humanitarian needs and provide clear and detailed recommendations for intervention, develop appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Assist the nutrition specialist in identifying and developing new needs/growth opportunities and/or opportunities for strategic partnerships.
- Assist the Nutrition specialist for program development, program management and strategy development.
- Ensure strong cooperation and coordination with Gender and Protection Officer to ensure all Food and nutrition programming is sensitive to and, where possible, actively reducing protection risks amongst vulnerable population groups.
- Ensure community involvement in all phases of the project cycle.
- Prepare and submit project progress report, quarterly, half-yearly and annual reports, success story, publications and etc.
- Liaise with relevant Advisers to assure programme quality and alignment to global, national and Plan International standards.
- Conducting above tasks and any other tasks requested by line manager. Note: the above-mentioned key responsibilities are illustrative ones. Other future responsibilities/accountability may be assigned to the job depending on the department organizational chart.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a discipline such as Human Nutrition, Agriculture, Business Administration, Management and Economics or any other discipline relevant to Development.
- Previous experience in a related position for at least 4 years, including managing general Food Distribution & Nutrition projects.
- Experience Managing UNWFP-funded projects is preferable.
- Experience in remote management.
- Experience in working “In-kind Distributions” projects is preferable.
- Excellent experience in Microsoft office.
- Excellent report-writing skills is an additive
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of PLAN’S aims, values and principles.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver PLAN’s strategic objectives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong data analysis skills and experience.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
Application Closing Date
4th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants from Borno State are encouraged to apply.
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.