African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Gender Business Development Officer, AHGC.1
Position Number: 50093622
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are:
- To develop, policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions,
- Develop new financing instruments; and
- Represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is designed to improve coherence and coordination across complexes on Gender and Civil Society Organization issues.
- The Department ensures strategic priorities are reflected in resources allocation, enhances monitoring and management of performance, and strengthens the focus on results.
- As part of the Gender, Women and Civil Society Directorate, the Gender and Women Empowerment Division provides leadership on mainstreaming Gender in operations.
- The Principal Gender Business Development Officer will provide policy and technical support on mainstreaming gender equality and women’s empowerment throughout the Bank operations.
- He/She will provide strategic gender advice and implementation support to develop an operational approach to advance gender equality in the Bank operations.
- He/ She will also work with other complexes and departments to ensure that Bank strategic initiatives and documents such as sector policies, strategies and guidelines reflect its commitment to gender equality and women’s empowerment in order to promote gender results in Regional Member Countries.
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, AHGC.1, the responsibilities of the Principal Gender Business Development Officer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide top quality gender analysis and substantive inputs to Bank’s strategic documents such as policies, strategies or any other relevant documents.
- Prepare briefs, case studies or any other documents to showcase gender equality impacts resulting from Bank’s projects.
- Provide guidance and operational inputs in the Bank projects for gender mainstreaming to improve inclusivity and development outcomes.
- Assist, follow and implement the work of cross-departmental teams to support the integration of gender in sector strategies, flagships, policies, programmes and any other relevant documents.
- Support the One Bank approach by ensuring the implementation of common objectives across the Bank complexes.
- Initiate and lead gender knowledge products in alignment with the Bank High 5s.
- Provide support to the gender specialists in the regions in the project cycle documentation and strategic papers to influence on gender activities and outcomes.
- Support in the categorization of Bank’s operations using the Gender Marker System and assist in ensuring Quality-At-Entry of Bank’s projects.
- Assist in the establishment, implementation and management of the Bank-wide Gender Equality Coordination Committee and its activities.
- Organize and/or attend technical trainings, seminars, conferences, summits and any relevant events in relation with his/her responsibilities.
- Collaborate with cross-department members to support the integration of gender into sectoral strategies, flagship programs, policies, or any other relevant documents
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge):
- Hold a minimum of Master’s Degree in International Development, Development Finance, Economics, Gender Studies or related areas, relevant qualification in Development Project Management and Project Finance.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience on gender and social inclusion in the development and ability to work across different teams and sectors.
- Advocacy and policy engagement experience at all levels, particularly in relation to gender equality and women empowerment.
- Demonstrate understanding of regional social and economic issues, analysis and policy formulation; knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries is an added advantage.
- Demonstrate strong communication and organization skills, dealing with various stakeholders with different background and capacity to perform in complex situations.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
28th October, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online