International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Migration Health Physician (Assessment Programs)
SVN No.: CFCV2021.71
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Assessment Center
IOM Classification: Hourly
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Hourly Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the direct supervision of the respective Migration Health Officer in Abuja and the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Abuja, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure the efficient daily operations of the Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC), in close coordination with the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO).
- Conduct the ABUJA MHAC’s migration health assessment process to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the Areas of:
- Medical examinations.
- Laboratory testing.
- TB management.
- Treatment and referrals.
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements.
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required
- Ensure proper identification of refugees and migrants during the health assessment and record all relevant health information in standard forms, ensuring completeness and accuracy of the recorded information.
- Coordinate the workflow to ensure process starts on time, staff understand and implement the internal SOPs.
- Perform treatment for TB and sexually transmitted infections and provide support to the HIV and counselling activities. Oversee and coordinate the management of TB cases to ensure effective TB treatment.
- Supervise other migration health physicians in the clinical unit to ensure proper application of technical
- Instructions, quality medical examination, accurate completion and timely submission of medical reports.
- Oversee and coordinate accurate and effective provision of immunization and presumptive treatment programmes in full compliance with the technical guidelines and protocols of the resettlement countries. Assist CMHO in monitoring, supervising and educating all staff in the delivery of these programmes.
- Contribute to and maintain a system of quality improvement for each service area within the MHAC. Undertake quality control activities on a regular basis, including practice observation, desk audits and use of self-assessment tools/Checklists.
- Use data analysis and web reporting system to monitor performance indicators.
- Ensure implementation of the global IOM Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); create and implement ABUJA
- MHAC specific SOPs for each service area. Ensure proper reporting and management of incidents according to the Guidance Note for Incident Management.
- Organize systematic collection, processing and analyses of migration health data according to guidelines established by the CMHO. Ensure data quality. Provide periodic, as well as ad-hoc reporting to the CMHO for Migration Health activities.
- Ensure that all data related to heath assessment programmes is appropriately entered to Migrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA) and other related databases.
- Oversee the financial aspects of the MHAC in close coordination with the mission’s finance staff: supervise budget preparation, suggest adjustments and cost-effective solutions, and review financial reports.
- Provide oversight and coordinate the procurement of medical equipment, vaccines, medications and other medical supplies in coordination with the CMHO and the Resource Management Unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- University Degree in Medicine from an accredited academic institution with at least four years of professional work experience.
- Minimum of four (4) years, post-graduation, (post internship in countries with mandatory internship programs) continuous clinical experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary hospital setting. The last clinical posting should be within the last five years; and, Valid license to practice within country is mandatory.
- Registered to practice in Nigeria and with a valid registration license.
- Experience in administration/management an advantage.
- Continuous clinical experience in busy public or private hospitals
- Training/experience in Paediatrics, Internal Medicine or Infectious Diseases is an advantage.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads and tight timelines.
- Willing to accept flexible work schedule.
- Attentive to details and accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Strong communication, negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Fluency in English (oral and written), Working knowledge of the local languages an advantage.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances
Application Closing Date
15th September, 2021.
Important Information and Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2021.71. Abuja. Migration Health Physician (Assessment Programs).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.