The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary). State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
The Grants Specialist will provide support to the Grants Manager in Bauchi in support of the grant implementation process in Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Ebonyi, Gombe and Sokoto.
The Grants Specialist will:
- Oversee grant implementation and work with grantees to ensure that activities are implemented in accordance with activity design.
- Facilitate grantee and program team to resolve issues that arise during grant implementation.
- Generate and review all aspects of grant agreements with grantees and ensure all activities are implemented in line with the activity design.
- Ensure that all grant activities are properly documented from the start of implementation to grant close-down.
- Provide procedures and policy guidance and interpretation for program staff as well as sub-grantees to ensure adherence to grant management policies.
- Analyze and evaluate grant applications, proposals and awards to ensure adherence to grants management policies.
- Ensure proper negotiation of the terms and conditions for sub-grants.
- Review and analyze budget estimates for allowability, allocability, reasonableness, and consistency.
- Prepare grant agreements and assist with supervision/implementation of grant, including closure and disposition plans.
- Monitor grantees and subcontracting organizations to confirm that funds allocated are used for specified purposes.
- Monitor the procurement process under the grant to ensure competitiveness and compliance.
- Prepare regular reports on grants to Chief of Party.
The Grants Specialist will report to the Grants Manager in Bauchi.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, public administration, economics, or other relevant field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of US Government operations, policies, and procedures, and FAR regulations preferred.
- At least 8 years of experience of relevant professional experience. At least 4 years in grants design and administration (experience with grants award and grants management as well as prior experience in the award and administration of subcontracts), preferably in the good governance sector.
- Working knowledge of USAID Contract Management and Grants Management policies and procedures required.
- Experience implementing grant policies and procedures required.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with a wide range of organizations, beneficiaries, and related parties.
- Ability to work under own initiative or as a part of a team
- Experience of working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Fluency in one or more of the local languages spoken in the state of interest is preferred.
Women and persons with disabilities who meet the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV by e-mail to NigeriaGovernance@dai.com before the close of work on Wednesday, 27th October, 2021.
IMPORTANT: Please state the title of the position and location you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
DAI will only contact shortlisted candidates.