Slum2school Africa is a volunteer-driven developmental organization with a vision to transform the society by empowering disadvantaged children to realize their full potential. Founded in 2012, we recognize that there are severe shortcomings in the educational sector in Africa and in this area, seek to improve the lives of Africa’s most precious resource – her children. We provide educational scholarships, create learning spaces and provide other psychosocial support for disadvantaged and vulnerable children in slums and indigent communities through our team of dedicated staff who possess our culture, competence, commitment, and have the right character.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Teacher
Location: Lekki, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Teacher holds a pivotal role in overseeing, educating, and aiding learners in achieving educational milestones. This encompasses the organization and implementation of a fitting instructional program within a learning environment that guides and inspires learners to unlock and fulfill their academic potential.
- Responsibilities involve crafting lessons targeting specific skills and concepts, managing classroom dynamics to ensure the engagement of all learners, and providing personalized support and feedback.
- The ideal candidate is a dynamic, proactive individual with a passion for connecting with learners, fostering a relationship of mutual trust, and possessing adept organizational skills to facilitate a smooth and meaningful learning process.
Key Areas of Accountability
- As the Teacher, you will be responsible for planning, preparing and delivering lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Employ a variety of educational techniques (storytelling, educational play, media etc.) to teach learners.
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments.
- Communicate and evaluate needs to ensure every learner feels challenged but not overwhelmed by the material being covered.
- Develops schemes of work, lesson plans and tests that are in accordance with established procedures.
- Observe each learner to help them improve their social competencies and build self-esteem.
- Providing individualized instruction to each learner by promoting interactive learning.
- Guide learners to develop their artistic and practical capabilities through a carefully constructed curriculum.
- Creating, assigning and grading various assessments for learners, including tests, quizzes, essays and projects.
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual learners and use information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of learners’ progress and development.
- Working with learners one-on-one when they need extra help or attention.
- Create and maintain a tidy, orderly, safe, respectful and inclusive classroom environment.
- Communicate necessary information regularly to learners, colleagues and parents regarding learners’ progress and learners needs.
- Collaborate with other teachers, parents and stakeholders and participate in regular meetings.
- Plan and execute educational in-class and outdoor activities and events.
- Observe and understand learners’ behavior and psyche and report suspicions of neglect, abuse etc.
- Adapting teaching methods and materials to meet the interests and learning styles of learners.
- Develop and enrich professional skills and knowledge by attending seminars, conferences etc.
- Managing the day-to-day activities of the leaners.
- Motivating the learners to achieve excellent academic goals.
- Developing and implementing a timeline to achieve learning targets.
- Guiding the learners to maximize their potential.
- Creating a pleasant learning environment that inspires the learners.
- Ensure that new learners feel welcome when they join, and say goodbye nicely when they leave.
Key Performance Indicators
- Percentage of learners meeting or exceeding academic benchmarks.
- Attendance rates and reduction in absenteeism.
- Success rates in assignments, tests, and exams.
- Completion rates of coursework and assignments.
- % of compelling stories curated from learners.
- Timeliness and effectiveness of communication with learners and parents.
- Level of maintenance of high-quality education centers, ensuring a safe, conducive, and child-friendly learning environment.
- Percentage participation in professional development opportunities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Education, Social Sciences, or in a specialized field with a certificate in Education is required.
- 2 years+ of proven experience as a teacher in a good recognized school.
- Specialization in areas such as Early Childhood Education, Education Management, Curriculum
- Development, or additional training and certifications related to education management, leadership, curriculum development, or community engagement is a plus.
- Membership of recognized professional education body (TRCN) is an added advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of teaching best practices and legal educational guidelines partnered with a willingness to follow the school’s policies and procedures.
- Excellent understanding of the principles of child development and preschool educational methods.
- Knowledge of appropriate learning psychology, styles and strategies.
Skills and Competence:
- Ability to develop lesson plans and successfully instruct learners in theories, methods and tasks.
- Strong understanding of educational challenges in underserved communities and familiarity with innovative solutions.
- Proficient active listening skills to understand and adapt to learners’ various learning needs.
- Strong public speaking and oral presentation skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Must have the ability and proven ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
- Creative and energetic.
- Advanced technology skills to track learner attendance and grades and present creative lessons.
- Leadership skills and patience for working with learners of all ages.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; highly organized with concern for detail and a commitment to rigor.
Application Closing Date
3rd December, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: Interviews are on a rolling basis.