UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Intern
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Post Level: Intern
Type of Contract: Internship
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
Advertised on behalf of : UN WOMEN
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- UN Women is currently seeking interns to support the Nigeria country office operations team
Duties and Responsibilities
- The interns will work with the Operations team of UN Women Nigeria country office, supporting these key functions: finance, HR, travel & logistics, procurement, general office administration and ICT. The Operations team is situated in Abuja. The interns will learn about the dynamic functions of the UN, the collaborative work among UN agencies, operational processes, their importance to programmatic delivery, and how the interaction of operations and Programme together achieve Programme delivery.
- Under the overall supervision of the UN Women Nigeria CO Operations Manager, the interns will be assigned roles/responsibilites and expected to perform some of the following duties:
- Finance Function Support: Filing of finance documents, scanning and uploading of finance documents to the electronic filing system, prepare UNDP payment schedule, support finance processes.
- Human Resources Support – support in the recruitment process of various contract modalities from the advertisement to the selection and onboarding of the candidate.
- Procurement Support – Support with procurement processes for the office and for Programme delivery. The intern will learn about UN Women’s procurement processes, Micro-purchasing, RFP, RFQ, ITB and the use of the e-procurement system. The intern will assist in updating UN Women’s vendor roster
- UN Common Services and Joint Operational Activities – Support in common services and joint operation collaborations among the UN agencies in Abuja .
- General Administration – Support as required in other administrative areas including hardcopy and e-filing, developing/populating an e-registry system in collaboration with the operations team
- IT – Support the provision of ICT services to UN Women personnel and programmes
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is to provide students, individuals who are enrolled in a mandatory national service programme, and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds exposure to working with gender equality issues and a first-hand experience with the day-to-day working environment of UN Women
- Interns will get to understand the policies and procedures of UN Women and gain experience providing operations support to UN Women programmes and personnel
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer and execute administrative and procurement processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Ability to learn and follow multiple administrative rules and regulations;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word programs;
- Ability to extract and interpret data
- Ability to prioritise work and to multi-task
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: Social Sciences including Administration, Management, Economics, Accounting, or other relevant subjects; Science and Technology including Computer Sciences, Mathematics or other relevant subjects, is required.
Meet one of the following:
- Be enrolled in a Graduate School Programme (Second University Degree or equivalent, or higher)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent)
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation; or
- Be enrolled in a Postgraduate Professional Traineeship Program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements
- Be enrolled in a mandatory national service programme of which the internship may form a part;
- Strong ICT skills is an asset
- Ability to work with large data sets and organize data is an asset
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2022 (Midnight New York, USA).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.