INTERSOS is an independent, no-profit organization which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy coordinates, supports and monitors the planned activities in the countries of intervention carried out by decentralised offices.
Job position – Nutrition Assistant
Work location – Magumeri/Ngala/Damasak/Banki
Reporting to – Nutrition Officer
Supervision of – N/A
General Purpose Of The Position
Under the supervision of the Nutritional Officer, the role is responsible for the delivery and follow-up of training to key stakeholders on nutrition. The role is responsible for implementing the nutrition behavior change activities, conducting BSFP distributions and supporting other nutrition activities in accordance with INTERSOS nutritional and hygiene protocols in order to improve health conditions of the targeted population.
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
- Assists in conducting monthly BSFP distribution activity to target population
- Supervises nutrition specific value adding activities (SBCC, Home gardening, food hygiene promotion etc).
- Supervises regular follow up and management of malnutrition cases at the OTP/SC
- Directly implements the activities defined in the program in close collaboration with the nutrition officer.
- Facilitates community mobilization, sensitization meetings and trainings during community led nutrition activities.
- Mobilizes mothers to form groups and encourage them to select the treasurers and secretaries of the groups.
- Works closely within community structures to follow up on implementation of Blanket Supplementary Feeding Program (BSFP) activities with support from the nutrition officer.
- Creates awareness and sensitize the community on malnutrition, the causes of malnutrition and treatment of malnutrition.
- Participates in screening of children less than five years, referral and follow up of malnourished beneficiaries at community level.
- Implements sensitization activities for targeted communities about nutrition activities with support from MOH, community leaders and other key stakeholders at LGA level.
- Coordinates all activities very closely, in collaboration with MOH and other key stakeholders.
- Facilitates good working relationship between INTERSOS and target beneficiaries.
- Ensures timely submission of weekly reports, monthly reports and MUAC screening data & reports to nutrition officers for compilation.
- In collaboration with the nutrition officer and DPM develops success stories, lessons learnt and case studies.
- Bachelor degree in Health/ Nutrition or relevant diploma degree.
- Minimum of 1 year in humanitarian work “desirable”
- Previous nutrition work experience
- Personal requirements
- Good speaking, writing and reading skills
- Be computer literate including Microsoft Office programs (Word and Excel).
- Fluency in English, both written and oral including local language ad advantage
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills and excellence as a team player.
- Strong sense of responsibility, methodical and accurate with high organizational skills
- Honesty and integrity and able to cope with stressful situations.
- Hardworking, discipline and trustworthy
- Flexibility & adaptability-Willingness to deploy to the newly liberated local government areas.
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa will be considered a plus
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should complete this FORM and attach CV with the following format “Surname Position you applied for”. ONLY applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
Application deadline: apply no later than 26th June 2020 at 4:00 PM. INTERSOS does not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. These are local positions and indigenes of the above LGAs are strongly encouraged to apply.