Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 to carry out a rapid evaluation of the most relevant constraints suffered by the Internally Displaced People (IDPs) displaced by the food crisis and the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin.
The COOPI Nigeria Field Office is located in Yobe State, in order to cover intervention LGAs in Yobe State and to provide direct assistance to the IDPs and their hosting communities, through a multi-sectorial programme covering Food Security, Social protection, Early Recovery and Livelihoods, Nutrition and Child Protection interventions. COOPI’s capacity to respond to the humanitarian situation in the country is confirmed by its experience in providing humanitarian aid in more than 24 other Countries around the World, in over 50 years of operations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer
Location: Sokoto State (COOPI areas of intervention. Sokoto as main Base Office, with often trips to Rabah LGA, Goronyo LGA & Sokoto)
Employment Type: Full-time
- The MEAL Officer will provide support to COOPI’s Multi-sectoral Programs in Improved Early Warning Systems and Social Safety Nets for rapid disaster response in North West Nigeria, across different donor funded interventions in the design, planning, monitoring and evaluation of the program by managing data and facilitating program implementation at state level, under the guidance and direct supervision of the MEAL Team Lead and Program Coordinator.
- The MEAL Officer will be responsible for data gathering, analysis and reporting activities. S/he will assist in tracking progress of key indicators and provide timely reports to the Project Manager and Programme Manager on project data for greater project reporting and overall impact for COOPI Multi-sectoral Programs in Northwest Nigeria across different donor funded interventions.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the direct supervision of the MEAL Team Lead and in collaboration with other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, she/he will:
- Collect qualitative and quantitative information and program data through surveys, assessments, post distribution monitoring, mapping, stocktaking and regular market monitoring
- Quantify methods and identify data sources for program performance and impact indicators, in conjunction with respective program component teams.
- Ensure timely planning and deployment of surveys, assessment, mapping, stocktaking and Post Distribution Monitoring surveys, conducting project baseline, end line and progress surveys, ensuring appropriate sample size and sampling survey methods, data collection procedures, and data verification through periodic site visits.
- Support formulation and integration of Geographic Information System technology and other related spatial information applications, for operational programming needs.
Support in Collating and Analysing Monitoring Data, as well as report on findings from Monitoring Activities:
- Ensure proper monitoring of the program, focusing on overall M&E framework of the projects
- Present and analyse data based on information needs of project team and partners and support in data base management.
- Analysing of data, report development and submission of M&E reports
- Provide support to improve monitoring and reporting mechanism through revised monitoring and reporting framework, through collaboration with the program team.
- Review of reporting made against indicators
- Drafting and sharing lessons learnt from the different project intervention for programme development and quality control
Work with Program Teams to ensure COOPI Information on Program Activities is shared within LGAs and provide for Beneficiary Feedback in line with relevant Guidelines and Frameworks:
- Collaborate with government and humanitarian partners to ensure the smooth sharing of information in consultation with the Project Manager/Field Coordinator/Program Manager
- Support the program team in facilitating the process of setting up Complaint Response Mechanism at Ward/ LGA level and handling complaint/ feedback.
Support the Management of MIS Technologies and Beneficiary Data management Platforms (Including Red Rose, PowerBI, Kobo etc.):
- Carry out troubleshooting of devices and find solutions where necessary to ensure timely implementation of program activities.
- Ensure routine monitoring of the Red Rose and ODK / Kobo devices and software upgrades when necessary, in conjunction with the MEAL Assistants / Officers.
- Supports MEAL and Program Team on database management software usage when necessary.
- Support the MEAL team in coding and creating new forms and questionnaires.
- Create Monthly reports via the use of infographic software.
Ensure Proper and Timely Implementation, Management and Capacity Building on MEAL at the base level:
- Take a lead in data storage, processing, retrieval and reporting to project management team and key community stakeholders in consultation with the MEAL team
- Coordinate and share learning related to knowledge, data collection, use of ICT4D, behaviours, and practices at base office level, and COOPI at large.
- Generate related reporting on trends in all-cash programs context and progress (using graphs, pie charts, bar charts, etc.) for internal and external reporting in consultation with the MEAL Team Lead and Project Manager.
- Ensure timely submission of all sector 5Ws to the MEAL Team Lead and Program Coordinators.
- Train local field staff, state government stakeholders and key community beneficiaries in how to establish and deploy M&E in coordination with the project management team.
Provide support to the Programs at LGA level and within the Communities:
- Directly supervise data entry and data cleaning activities by the data entry clerks
- Analyse and provide information regarding general context at the LGA level and explore opportunities in support of partnership, building initiatives with LGA level government and other humanitarian actors.
- Assist program teams in the selection of beneficiaries as per the established procedure from the project proposal.
- Assist the program team in the selection of Community Mobilisers to facilitate the process of beneficiaries’ selection.
- Assist the Programme Manager to provide trainings on monitoring and evaluation that include sampling, data collection, data cleaning, analysis and reporting guidelines to all program staff. Coach data entry clerks and project officers on data cleaning.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills):Minimum Requirements
- Degree / Diploma in Economics, Rural Development, Development Studies, Statistics, Demography or related subject, with previous experience working in developmental projects
Skills & Experience:
- Be professional, motivated, flexible and culturally sensitive
- 2-3 years M&E related work experience with an iNGO
- Experience in data collection, collation, analysis, and report writing
- Have previous experience in indicator tracking matrix, RedRose, 5Ws, MIS, PSS of cash-based interventions (i.e. cash for work, cash transfers or cash vouchers).
- Have excellent communication, writing and analytical skills.
- Have proven ability to create program support systems for large amounts of data within a complex program.
- Have knowledge and experience in using database specific software.
- Have experience in designing and leading capacity building and training for national teams.
- Be excellent in communication skills and proficient in report writing
- Have IT troubleshooting capabilities.
- Be resident and familiar with the terrain in the Northeast Nigeria.
- Experience designing and leading capacity building and training for national teams.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office programming (Access, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, and Word).
- Proven ability to create management information systems for large amounts of data within a complex program.
- Knowledge and experience in using database specific software.
- Excellent communication, writing and analytical skills.
- Experience designing and leading capacity building and training for national teams.
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri).
- Proficient in statistical and other software (Microsoft Office package, SPSS, GIS and ENA for SMART.
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Previous experience with similar position.
This ToR shall be inclusive of any other task specifically assigned by the MEAL Coordinator and Project Manager and direct supervisor for what concerns the implementation of the program activities.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Applicants shall be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from and or living Sokoto State will be prioritised.