Chemonics seeks Human Resources (HR) and Operations Manager will be a senior member of the operations team on the LUWASH activity. The HR and Operations Manager will be responsible for administering, overseeing, and managing all HR-related issues including recruitment, personnel processes (hiring, on boarding, performance management, termination), and ensuring compliance with Nigerian labor laws. The HR and Operations Manager will additionally be responsible for ensuring compliance with HR-related USAID rules and regulations, and Chemonics policies, procedures, and best practices. The HR and Operations Manager will provide administrative, logistical, and operational support to the technical implementation of the LUWASH activity. The role will work closely with the Finance and Operations Director on various tasks to ensure the smooth operations of the activity. Key areas include: human resource management of both short and long term staff, office facilities management, procurement oversight, development and monitoring of service-level agreements (SLAs), event organizing, and ensuring activities in the office comply with Chemonics and USAID policies as well as provide Information management support.
Career category: Human Resources
Years of experience: 5-9 years
The Human Resources (HR) and Operations Manager will report directly to the Finance and Operations, Director
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides overall office management for the operational activities such office logistics, human resource management, office administration, asset management of the program as well as provide supervision of assigned operations staff.
- Manages project office’s training and event planning, travel and vehicles, financial payments (as necessary).
- Support the project in resolving IT issues and escalating to HO IT team where necessary.
- Helps manage all office procurements and the maintenance of all equipment, materials, and supplies necessary for the execution of activities.
- Maintain equipment inventory, verifying all inventory regularly to ensure that the value of all items booked in Abacus under inventory accounts matches with the total value indicated in the inventory report. Ensure all inventory are labeled in accordance with USAID guidelines.
- Ensure the project receives effective services by monitoring the office lease agreements, equipment service contracts, and other relationships with outside vendors that are related to office facilities, services or equipment. Suggest and make improvements as needed.
- Provides support to office staff, including but not limited to ensuring compliance with organizational policy and national labor law and that accurate reports are filed with the local authorities in a timely manner.
- Manage the physical layout of the office and ensure adequate and healthy workspace for all staff; oversee the office cleaning contract and provide timely performance feedback.
- Performs errands assigned in support of the project, such as pick-ups and deliveries from the office or other miscellaneous tasks.
- Supervise maintenance of office administrative systems, including personnel records, filing systems, approval files, etc.
- Manage human resources activities under the project, including the recruitment and hiring of personnel; compensation; and benefits.
- Analyze candidate materials and recommend salary offers to supervisor in accordance with USAID salary scales and project policies.
- Oversee the identification, selection, recruitment, training, and orientation of staff and consultants.
- Work with COP and DCOP to manage annual performance evaluation timeline and process; resolve personnel and staffing issues, performance problems, and other personnel related issues.
- Maintain leave tracker, receive leave requests from staff, and ensure leave requests are promptly filed.
- Oversee the life insurance provision and employment pension schemes enrollments for local staff by ensuring new forms are collected with each salary change and for new employees and send forms to the headquarters.
- Serve as coordinator, working with Chemonics headquarters and subcontractors as necessary, to field expatriate and local specialists for short term assignments.
- Work with the Office Assistant to oversee the management of the office facility which includes the physical office space, furniture, equipment and garage area. Office management also includes the coordination of office car hire and coordination with local service providers and vendors; and
- Work with the Office Assistant to oversee the management of providing the project with administrative and secretarial support as needed, reproduction & binding services, meet & assist arrangements, travel arrangements, faxes, pouches and overnight mail services, in-house messengers and other administrative support services as required. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- At least four years’ experience working in office administration, experience managing a 20+ person office preferred.
- Demonstrated experience running of a project office including organizing procurement of equipment and managing vendor relationships.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Nigerian labor law, and Government of Nigeria regulations surrounding personnel benefits, income, and personal taxes, etc., with experience implementing and interpreting these policies for staff.
- Experience with USAID or other international donor highly preferred
- Proven ability to mentor, supervise, and support staff and experience managing locally hired personnel, and exercise confidentiality and high levels of professionalism.
- Familiarity with MS Office software suite
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Oral and written English language proficiency, fluency required.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
Duration of Assignment
- Long term, minimum of 2 years expected
Location of Assignment
- This assignment will take place in Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria with no relocation assistance.
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and Human Resources & Operations Manager” in the subject line to [email protected] by November 30, 2023. Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/