WANEP-Nigeria is the Nigerian Country Office of the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP), a Sub-regional NGO with regional secretariat based in Accra, Ghana, whose mission is to enable and facilitate the development of mechanisms for cooperation among civil society-based peacebuilding practitioners and organizations in West Africa by promoting cooperative responses to violent conflicts; providing the structure through which these practitioners and institutions will regularly exchange experience and information on issues of peacebuilding, conflict transformation, social, religious and political reconciliation; and promoting West Africa’s social and cultural values as resources for peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HR and Admin Manager
Location: Ogba, Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
Program / Department Summary
Waves of resource-based, ethnic, and sectarian conflict, rising criminality and banditry, and expanding violent extremism are rendering North Central and Northwest Nigeria increasingly insecure. While multiple initiatives seek to address the complex causes of violence, community and security responses to drivers and triggers are often piecemeal at best, and ineffectual at worst. Existing Early Warning and Early Response (EWER) systems suffer from slow responses, poor coordination, top-down mandates that limit community ownership, weak dispute resolution skills among responders, little political and financial investment, leadership structures that exclude women and youth, and scant rigorous evidence. The result of ineffective EWER systems is that unchecked, violence proliferates.
To examine and mitigate these barriers, Peace Action for Rapid and Transformative Nigerian Early Response (PARTNER) will pursue a bold approach to collaboration across local, international, government, non-government, community, state, and security stakeholders. Local ownership, fuelled by iterative organizational performance assessment and capacity strengthening, will inform each component of the proposed sustainable, flexible, and evidence-based national EWER system that builds on existing locally led and gender-sensitive conflict management mechanisms for vertical integration; incentivizes quick responses through horizontal coordination; and fosters increased trust in security and government actors to promote inclusive and collective action. By embedding EWER innovations within formal structures from the beginning, PARTNER will increase Nigeria’s self-reliance in leading a holistic, coordinated, and effective effort to promote sustainable peace.
General Position Summary
PARTNER is built on a culture of true partnership and a systematic approach to local ownership, including readiness measurement, capacity and commitment strengthening, coaching, and key inflection points and benchmarking. Mercy Corps is currently leading the PARTNER program in a mentorship capacity in Year 1 and Year 2 of the program, working closely with the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP), which will assume leadership of the program beginning in Year 3. The Human Resource and Administrative Manager is responsible for developing and implementing effective HR and administrative policies, procedures in WANEP Nigeria.
This includes talent acquisition & development, employee engagement coordination, country-wide training & learning management, compensation & benefits administration, performance management oversight, disciplinary & grievance handling staff data management, staff disengagement management, staff travels and office administration. H/she provides the required human resource supports and ensure the development of a committed and skilled workforce while adhering to the set HR Operational standards.
Human Resources Management:
- Ensure successful implementation, adherence, and common understanding of the National Staff Handbook and other HR Policies.
- Ensure that controls are put in place and adhere to; to allow for transparent and unbiased HR processes and systems.
- Ensuring adherence and standardization of recruitments according to recruiting guidelines as well championing the onboarding process for new team members in WANEP.
- Ensure all required Human Resource functions across WANEP are achieved in line with the program objectives in facilitating employee engagement & management, performance management, employee welfare and office administration.
- Oversee the management and effective tracking of annual performance reviews (APR) submission by staff.
- Ensure effective tracking and monitoring of leave utilization and other time off for staff.
- Ensure timely collection and submission of timesheets across all the country offices.
- Serve as a link between the HR team and employees by handling questions, interpreting, and administering HR policies and procedures, and helping to resolve work-related problems.
- Work closely with hiring managers to identify personnel needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications, and skills for all positions in WANEP.
- Support in finalizing negotiations and preparing documentation including remuneration package attached to offers for new hires.
- Perform all required reference, background, and documentation checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers for assigned offices.
- Screen, refer, and maintain a talent pool of external and internal candidates for additional interviews as applicable for assigned offices.
- Ensure effective implementation of onboarding processes and all team members receive complete orientation within 10 days of hire in assigned WANEP offices.
- Ensure that new staff are oriented and made familiar with all code of conducts and Safeguarding policies of WANEP.
- Provide a broad range of in-person HR support, including support in performance management, grievance management and team engagement.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Provide team members with information, tools, and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Ensure full compliance with all relevant WANEP and donor guidelines and keeping up to date with changing policies and guidelines.
- Ensures WANEP’s Office is well maintained and suitable for working and living.
- Identify and ensure the provision of necessary training, support, and guidance to administrative staff.
- Ensure that all administrative and procurement activities are accurately documented and arranged.
- Coordinate and liaise with government offices, UN agencies and other NGOs, as required.
- Act as a liaison person and facilitate visa & work permits for expatriate staff and visitors to WANEP Nigeria.
- Manage framework agreements and other service contracts in admin.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools, and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular and performance reviews.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- WANEP-Nigeria team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in HR Management / Administration or relevant course from Social Science.
- Minimum of 5 years management experience in a corporate or an INGO sector, including experience in multiple human resource disciplines specifically Recruitment, Selection, Orientation, Onboarding, Talent Management, and office administration.
- Sound knowledge of USAID and other donors’ rules and regulations is desirable.
- Professional Certification and License from CIPM, SHRM or CIPD will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated understanding and proven experience in staffing and talent planning in international relief and development environments.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of the Nigerian Labor Act, compensation, benefits administration, recruitment, selection, and onboarding
- Proficiency in MS Office, internet searching, applicant tracking systems and use of social media for sourcing talent.
- Ability to communicate, influence and solve problems effectively across diverse cultures and geographical distances with sensitivity.
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in other Nigerian languages will be an added advantage.
- S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive, and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive communication skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- The position is based in Ogba, Lagos State and requires travel to project communities in Nigeria.
- Attractive and Competitive in line with industry standards.
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply by sending their CV and Application Letters to: [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the email.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening, and evolving to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- WANEP-Nigeria as an equal opportunity employer does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We do not tolerate discrimination based on race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- WANEP-Nigeria is committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the WANEP-Nigeria Code of Conduct Policies, and values always.
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Due to the urgency of the recruitment, application will be review on a rolling basis.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.