Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Manager
Job ID: 210007RI
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Program / Team: Humanitarian
Contract Length: 12 months
Reports to: Director of Programme Operations
Staff Reporting to This Post: 6
Budget Responsibilities: YES
- Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and young people either frequently (e.g., once a week or more) or intensively (e.g., four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in-country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The Field Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Save the Children’s Programme in Yobe State.
- This includes responsibility for ensuring integrated, high-quality program delivery and a safe and effective presence of Save the Children in Yobe, oversight, and ultimate responsibility for the timely delivery of projects, currently across all sectors: Child Protection, Nutrition, FSL, WASH, and Education; as well as maintain effective relationships with all other key players in the area (NGO, UN, and governmental) to ensure effective coordination of activities and ability to implement. S/he is also responsible for the efficient and effective operation of support services – Logistics, Security, Finance, and Human Resources/Administration.
- In coordination with the Country Director, Director for Program Operations, Humanitarian Director, and other senior staff, s/he has overall responsibility for staff safety and security of staff and operations in the field site.
- S/he is responsible for team leadership, human resources management, oversight of all programs, and management of SC facilities and assets in the locality.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and vary working hours accordingly.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Director of Programme Operations
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 6
- Direct: EU Resilience Programme Manager, Safety & Security Coordinator, Programme Operations Manager, Safeguarding Officer, Programme Manager ECW, Project Director GAC,
- Budget Responsibilities: YES
Key Areas of Accountability
Oversees Save the Children’s Programs and Operations in Yobe:
- Manages the financial, administrative, logistics, IT, and other operational aspects in the field site.
- Supervises Program Managers based in the field office, providing managerial guidance and support, and ensuring effective communication and coordination among programmes, including ensuring integration where appropriate.
- Ensures effective performance and coherence of the staff team through holding regular meetings and implementing regular training, support, and performance evaluation of staff.
- With support from Human Resources in Abuja, it ensures sufficient staffing to perform all programmatic and operational responsibilities.
- Participates in developing the program strategy for Save the Children in Nigeria and setting policies relevant to field operations.
- Ensures compliance with donor requirements. Supports the development of proposals and reports for donors and others. Facilitates donor and other visits as requested.
- Ensures effective representation and coordination with local government, communities, and NGO partners.
- Maintains effective implementation of security guidelines and reporting.
Leadership and Overall Management:
- Ensure that Save the Children’s vision, mission, and values are clearly and adequately understood and upheld by all staff in Yobe.
- Maintain Save the Children’s organizational and operational policies and procedures in the Yobe Field Office. This includes Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policy, Fraud Policy, the Minimum Standards of Humanitarian Relief, etc.
- Responsible for the overall management and supervision of the programme, finance, logistics, HR, and administration functions in the Yobe Office.
- Maintain awareness on legal, cultural/traditional issues and ensure these are considered in the program’s implementation if required and relevant.
- Monitor the operating context, identify changes to the context, identify constraints and challenges, and take relevant actions in consultation with the Humanitarian Director and Programmes Staff.
Management of Programme Implementation:
- Facilitate and coordinate the implementation of planned activities, providing support to ensure high quality of implementation.
- Bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring planned activities are implemented according to the operational plans and budget.
- Ensure an integrated approach to programme implementation to maximize resource utilization and synergy.
- Ensure that all activities comply with Save the Children’s and donor requirements, regulations and policies, and the approved plan/proposal.
- Facilitate and coordinate with Director of Programme Operations, Humanitarian Director, Director of Program Development and Quality to ensure technical support and capacity development of programme staff in Yobe.
- Work closely with Programme Advisors to ensure teams receive the necessary support to deliver quality programmes.
Monitoring, Reporting, and Learning:
- Work closely with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning advisors to build field staff capacity.
- Ensure monitoring systems and procedures and documentation, and information management systems are appropriately utilized, and projects are regularly monitored in Yobe.
- Responsible for the enforcement of reporting requirements and procedures for grants and timely submission of reports to Humanitarian Director, thematic Program Advisors, Director of Program Operations, Director of Program Design and Quality, Director of Finance for all projects implemented in Yobe State.
- Facilitate and coordinate the preparation and provision of information and data to the Learning and Development Unit for quarterly and annual reports of the country programme.
- Collate and produce monthly reports and weekly SITREPS.
- Ensure that all reports (i.e., logistics, HR and finance, donor as well as program) are of good quality and produced timely and sent to the appropriate authority at Abuja
Administration and Management of Support Functions:
- Ensure proper control and usage of Save the Children assets and funds in Yobe – providing direct oversight on finance, logistics, HR, and admin functions
- Ensure the programmes in Yobe provide value for money
- Work closely with the logistics department to coordinate and follow up on the procurement and delivery of goods and services for the programme and the programme offices.
- Provide the critical communication link to the head office and other field offices to share learning, secure appropriate support, and update them on the progress of the work underway.
Budget Follow up and Ensuring Financial Compliance:
- Accountable for management and monitoring of assigned budget in his/her capacity as a budget holder.
- Ensure the effective compliance of Save the Children and donor finance and grant procedures and requirements.
- Coordinates and facilitates the work of the finance team in the Yobe office.
- Ensure the financial reporting and forecasting to the country office is accurately and efficiently carried out within the suitable timeframe.
- Work with the finance department and Finance Director to ensure accurate budget control for financial management in the field in line with project/grant proposals.
- Facilitate and coordinate the preparation of cash flows and budget phasing in projects to be implemented in Yobe.
- Facilitate and coordinate budget revisions for projects/grants as required.
Human Resource Development and Management:
- Build a high-performing team in Yobe that delivers results for children.
- Ensure staffing levels, management structures, and personnel processes are appropriate and adequate to enable the smooth implementation of the programme, including appropriate recruitment and induction processes.
- In collaboration with the HR/Admin officer, guide and support staff in their development, planning succession, and taking prompt action to address underperformance issues and other issues impacting professional conduct or implementing duties and responsibilities.
- Ensure staff in Yobe receives regular support, supervision, and performance appraisals in line with HR procedures and protocols.
- Ensure the Save the Children Child Safeguarding Policy is understood by all staff in Yobe that it is integrated into all aspects of the teams’ work.
Representation of Save the Children in the Field Region:
- Represent Save the Children in Yobe concerning programme implementation and maintaining a solid link with community leaders, government, NGOs, and UN organizations in the area.
- Establish and maintain contact with all key actors relevant to the programme implementation – military, government, UN, NGOs and partners – and establish mechanisms for contacting local community organizations in line with key thematic areas of work and assessing capacity/resources to respond.
- Advocate on the issues and rights of children in Yobe districts to improve policy and practices.
Safety and Security Management:
- Serve as the overall security focal point for the area of operation.
- With support from the safety and security officers, provide regular updates and analysis of the security situation of the Area of operation to the Deputy Director of Programme Operations, Head of Safety and Security, National Safety and Security Manager, and the Country Director as appropriate.
- Assist the safety and security officers in developing security procedures and protocols for the field and sub-offices under the Area of Operation and ensure an understating and adherence.
- Have an overview of the political and security context in field locations and how their changes may affect the programme’s work. Ensure that this is communicated regularly to the Senior Management Team.
- In coordination with the Safety and Security Officers, develop and implement adequate safety and security procedures, ensuring that these are updated and revised regularly, and that new programmes are built around security considerations.
- Take a lead role in monitoring the security situation in Yobe and update and implement Save the Children’s safety and security policies and procedures.
- Ensure security plans and guidelines and in place, are regularly reviewed, and are upheld.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive. The role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
- Country office staff and Humanitarian Response Team (programs, operations, award, HR, support))
- Work with partners, SC members, donors, and government as necessary
- Degree in a related field; Master’s Degree preferable
- Five years related experience
- Five years of progressive non-profit work experience with international humanitarian programmes.
- A proven understanding of development issues in the country and region.
- Management and supervisory experience.
- Established excellence in written communication, including the preparation of complex documents to meet strict deadlines
- Strong personal communication skills, ability to facilitate liaison between different sectors.
- Good financial, budget, and grant management skills
- Able to work and travel in difficult conditions
- Able to work with diverse team members
- Good training skills, with a proven ability to build the capacity of others in report writing.
- Solid Knowledge of donor-funded projects (EU, USAID, DFID, GAC, OFDA, etc.)
- Experience in Northeast Nigeria or similar conflict context.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values In Practice):
Leadership: (Leading and Inspiring others, Delivering results, Developing self and others):
- Delivers results and always acts with the beneficiaries in mind.
- Demonstrates managerial courage by confronting difficult situations, seeking resolution, and championing ideas.
- Actively contributes to a team environment where team members feel able to contribute, champion, or challenge decisions
- Takes responsibility for own development and actively takes steps to better understand and address own strengths and weaknesses.
- Openly talks about doing things differently, pushing the boundaries, and ways of working.
- Tailors communication style to specific audiences.
- Effectively influences others by understanding their interests and showing how their preferred solution will meet them.
Engaging: (working effectively with others):
- Develops strategies for teams to work across traditional and religious boundaries, working in diverse environments.
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
- Uses negotiation and conflict resolution skills to support positive outcomes
Adhere to SCI Values: (Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance, and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, and their team takes responsibility for their personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, Members, and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, and good communicator.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates the highest levels of integrity.
- The role holder must carry out the duties following the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe, so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to protecting children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
3rd November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online