African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
The Corporate Information Technology Services Department (TCIS) candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expression of Interest for Data Collection and Analysis Consultant – TCIS
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Job family: Information Technology
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following Assignment: Data Collection and Analysis Consultant.
- As part of its digital strategy to become a Smart Bank, AfDB has initiated major digital transformation projects mainly focused on the automation of business and operational processes.
- In this context the Consultant will have to work with the IT & Operations teams of the Bank, Kobo ToolBox and partners such as the World Bank, to design and deploy the Kobo ToolBox based solution for Remote Appraisal, Supervision, Monitoring and Evaluation (RASME) of the operation projects, and Build capacity among AfDB’s Task Managers, government agencies and Country Teams.
- The deployment of the solution began in October 2021, so far it has been deployed in 22 countries. The support continues to be provided to the countries where the solution is developed, and we continue to deploy the solution in other African countries.
- The RASME aims to provide the project teams with tools for remote supervision, real-time safeguards monitoring, and portfolio mapping for coordination across projects and partners. The in-field collection of structured digital data will automatically feed into a centralized system.
- The integrated data will include any kind of indicators, based on tailor-made forms; photos, audio, videos; time and date stamps; and GPS coordinates that allow for automated geo-mapping of the information.
- The RASME aims to systematically allow operations to enhance the transparency and accuracy of M&E and increase the accountability of third-party monitoring.
Based on the above aims, the main objectives are to achieve the following:
- Setup the RASME based on Kobo ToolBox solution for Monotoring and evaluation (M&E) of the operation projects financed by AfDB.
- Implement the RASME’s method systematically across the portfolio, to allow for real-time supervision and coordination of operations via a centralized platform that puts all field data on an interactive map.
- Integrate RASME with existing corporate applications and external systems including Data and images provided by satellites and drones.
- Build capacity among concerned persons within the Bank’s experts and Government agencies on the use the RASME independently and sustainably, customized to their specific project needs.
Throughout the assignment, the consultant will submit the deliverables (listed below with “Acceptance required?” equal to “Yes”) for the Bank’s review and approval:
- Work plan based on the objectives and scope of work.
- The report illustrating the support provided to Countries and Bank’s staff as well as the KPIs showing the adoption improvement.
- The required documents for the deployment of RASME in additional countries, including the deployment plan, the training program, the support and communication documents.
- RASME solution working and tested.
- Standards and guidelines for the sustainable implementation of the RASME method and its gradual scaling across client countries.
- The Training Program and materials (user guides, RASME handbook, training documents, demo, online access, …etc.).
- Training of project teams from government agencies, AfDB’s Task Managers, and Country Teams.
- Oversee the sustainable application of the RASME method across the Bank’s portfolio and ensure that gradually all projects are integrated in the system.
- Deliverables shall be deemed accepted unless the written rejection notification is received by the consultant in the timeframe specified.
- If a rejection notification is received, the consultant will correct problems with a deliverable that are in scope for the project, after which the deliverable is deemed accepted.
- The estimated duration of the services is 12 months. The estimated starting date is 01 July 2023.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- At least Master or engineering graduate qualification in Computer Science, Data Analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) or related area.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in M&E, Data Analysis, ICT, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), geospatial analysis or development work, with a clear demonstration of the ability to apply technologies to solve the challenges of development interventions.
- Substantial experience in the administration of digital data collection and analysis tools (including platform administration, questionnaire creation, field data collection, data analysis), through KoBo Toolbox.
- Advanced skills in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and geospatial analysis, and experience in the creation of both static maps and interactive mapping applications.
- Knowledge of M&E systems, especially as they apply to fragile contexts, demonstrated through field experience.
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to adapt to an audience that is operational, but not necessarily knowledgeable of ICT issues.
- Fluent English or French language skills, enabling the consultant to conduct interactive technical trainings in English or French, and to produce high-quality written outputs. Advanced French language skills are an advantage.
- Excellent workflow management skills and a proactive attitude.
- Ability for teamwork in a multicultural environment.
- Client Orientation – Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
- Ability to analyze complex information quickly and simply for audiences.
- Good political and personal judgment.
- Strong communication/interpersonal skills
- Proven analytical background.
- Advanced skills in MS office applications, in particular Excel and PowerPoint.
Application Closing Date
12th June, 2023 at 17:00 hours, Abidjan local time
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of interest in English Language to the address below using “Data Collection and Analysis Consultant” as the subject of the email.
For the attention of: IT Recruitment Team
African Development Bank,
Corporate IT Services Department (TCIS),
Avenue Joseph Anoma, 01 B.P. 1387,
Abidjan, CÔTE D’IVOIRE.
Email: [email protected]
Establishment of the Shortlist
A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest. The consultants on the shortlist will be judged on the following criteria on the basis of their updated resume.
- Level of education in general – 20%
- Educational level compared to the field of mission – 20%
- Years of experience in general – 20%
- Number of years of experience relevant to the mission – 40%
- Interested Consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to undertake this Assignment (CV using the template attached as Annex 1, copies of diplomas, documents, reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.).
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedures shall be in conformity with the Bank’s procedures for the acquisition of consulting services funded by the administrative or capital expenditure. Please, note that interest expressed by a consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
- The work will be done at the Bank’s Regional Office in Tunis – Tunisia. Specific authorization could be given by the RASME project manager for remote work.
- Interested Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during the Bank’s working hours: from 08:00 to 17:00 hours, Abidjan Local Time.