MEDA is an international economic development organization whose mission is to create business solutions to poverty. Founded in 1953 by a group of Mennonite business professionals, we partner with the poor to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions around the world. Our expertise includes a full range of economic development tools: financial services, improved technology, business training, better access to markets and equity investment. Our work most often focuses on women, youth and the rural poor. We believe that all people deserve the opportunity to earn a livelihood and that unleashing entrepreneurship is a powerful way to alleviate poverty.
- Experience 3 years
- Location Bauchi
MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) invites applications for a DATA ANALYST. MEDA is an association of compassionate women and men who invest in people living in poverty around the world so they can unleash their potential to earn a livelihood to provide for their families and enrich their communities. To find out more about MEDA, please visit our website at www.meda.org.
Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and MEDA are supporting 16,000 women and youth entrepreneurs and small-scale businesses improve their business performance in the agricultural sector in Bauchi State, while also increasing the awareness and capacity to address issues of early and forced child marriage with 25,000 community and family members.
Over seven years (2017-2024), the project will focus on select agricultural value chains originating in Bauchi State to improve the business performance and environment for entrepreneurs and small-scale businesses. The project will focus on small scale business of women and youth in selected agriculture sectors to improve productivity, increase access to markets, financial services, and information and to incorporate environmentally sustainable practices. The project will work with families and communities to better understand the risks of early and forced child marriage and benefits of engaging women and youth in entrepreneurship though awareness campaigns, employment and entrepreneurship skills building, provision of safe spaces, networking, and mentorship opportunities.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Specialist, the Data Analyst will support the implementation of MIM activities. The Data Analyst will take charge of activity level data entering, perform data quality assurance and ensure the project database is up to date for timely reporting.
Job Status: Expected start date-Jan 2021; Full-time, 1-year contract renewable up to 3 Years
Supervisor: MERL Specialist
Location(s): This position is based in Bauchi, Nigeria, with frequent travel to the various LGAs of Bauchi State.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all activity level data are entered on the project database (CRM) in real-time
- Work with the MIM team to ensure that all project’s reportable activities are captured on the intervention monitoring tool.
- Make daily/weekly follow-ups with MIM Officer and programs team to ensure that data collection is been done at every event/activity through the project data collection platform (iFormbuilder)
- Ensure the maintenance of the project’s database (CRM) and report emerging issues/challenges to the MERL Specialist, ensuring the database is providing data for planning and continues project implementation.
- Perform regular analysis of submitted activity data and give an update of new trends or gaps in the implementation.
- Conduct regular update of an intervention monitoring tool to ensure that the tool remains relevant and providing the needed data
- Support in gathering both qualitative and quantitative data regularly as outlined in the project monitoring and evaluation plan
- Analyze data and contribute to monitoring and evaluation reports for multiple audiences (e.g. project team, donors, partners)
- Generate evidence-based presentations based on available monitoring data to project stakeholders
- Assist the MERL Specialist in building capacities of the KFPs (key facilitating partners) to carry out baseline/ day to day monitoring of their project’s activities
- Prepare and complete periodic appraisal, monitoring and evaluation reports fulfilling project requirements
- Collect results generated from the implementation of MIM plan and consolidate data to allow for comparison of the performance of KFPs; analyze those results and inform senior project management of any gaps or shortcomings in the attainment of project goals
- Develop supporting materials and templates for project reporting activities
- Assist the MERL Specialist with relevant training to assist field and support staff to understand and implement the MIM plan
- Ensure data quality by holding review meetings with persons collecting activity level data to review identified errors periodically
- Apply MEDA’s values in all activities – cultural sensitivity, transparency and integrity in all relationship.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the line manager or management
- A university degree in statistics, data science or any relevant field with a good understanding of database management and project level data analysis.
- Strong IT and data management skills
- Demonstrable experience in managing a similar client-centered development project’s database
- Proven track record in monitoring and evaluation, knowledge in advance excel, Power Bi and iFormbuilder is an added advantage.
- Team player with excellent skills in building and maintaining relationships, networking, verbal and written communication
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work in and with a wide range of cultures
- Creative, entrepreneurial and resourceful approach to developing and implementing an innovative solution
- Demonstrable experience in conducting training and managing mas field data collection.
- Willingness to work under pressure and to work extra hours when required
- Willingness to travel to project areas
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s values, mission and purpose
- Knowledge of local language (Hausa) is an added advantage.
MEDA welcomes and encourages applications from all genders, backgrounds, religions, cultures, nationalities and abilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in the selection process.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: email@example.com (As a single PDF attachment) using the position as subject of email.