The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Advisor – Livestock Integration
Vacancy No: 052B
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Green Innovation Centre for the Agriculture and Food Sector Integrated Approach to Climate Change in Rice Production (GIAE NG, InACC)
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2019, we generated a business volume of around EUR 3.1 billion. Our 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff, work in around 120 countries.
- As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 556 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2019, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the German Federal Employment Agency, placed 262 integrated experts and 515 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
Context: Green Innovation Centre (GIAE):
- The “Integrated approach to climate change in the rice production system in Nigeria” (InACC) is a Joint Action by EU and BMZ. It is part of the EU Action “Sustainable Agri-Food Systems and at the same time of the global project “Green Innovation Centers in the Agriculture and Food Sector- Country Package Nigeria (GIC-NIGERIA)” which is part of the global BMZ special initiative “One World Without Hunger” (SEWOH).
- The project will contribute to sustainable rural development through innovations in the rice value chain and the farmer – agro-pastoralist nexus in selected local government areas of the federal states of Benue and Nassarawa in the Nigerian Middle Belt.
- In collaboration with research institutions, State Government extension and civil society organisations and as part of the GIC-Nigeria, In ACC will disseminate proven innovations and support smallholder farmers and MSMEs among rice farmers and agro-pastoralist to increase yields, incomes and the number of jobs in the local agri-food sector.
- Through a multi-level approach, relevant governmental, private, and civil society actors at local, regional, and national levels will be advised on climate smart innovations and practices in rice and agro-pastoral systems
- The Technical Advisor will support the Project Coordinator in the Implementation and coordination of the programme’s activities with the grantees, GIAE, other GIZ programmes in Nigeria, GIZ Country Office as well as the Federal / State Governments, other international organizations and the private sector.
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and in close collaboration with the Technical Adviser – rice and climate change, the Technical Advisor – livestock integration will:
- Support the project coordinator in planning, implementation and coordination of programme activities
- Provide technical advice on climate smart practices for livestock production, particularly as these link to the rice production and support to implementing partners
- Support development of inclusive business models and support to enterprises that can sustain the livestock climate smart practices and provide jobs in the livestock value chain
- Support the implementation partners on peace building and conflict resolution aspects of rice and livestock integration
- Provide support to research and analytical work
- Coordinate and supervise local and international consultancies and procurement
- Plan and prepare conferences, workshops, study trips and other events
- Provide input to project monitoring and evaluation methodology and design
- Support the Project coordinator in overseeing the monitoring and preparation of reports to GIZ as well as to the EU Delegation
- Support the development and review of training materials for trainers and for the target group
- Coordinate the implementation activities closely with the Green Innovation Centre particularly in the rice value chain as well as with other relevant GIZ project
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the Project Coordinator.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Livestock, Animal Husbandry, Natural Resource Management, or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of professional working experience in a similar position
- Broad experience working with capacity development related to climate change mitigation and adaptation in livestock-based value chains
- Work experience and insights in crop and livestock integrated approaches particularly when related to pastoralist and agro-pastoralist systems
- Good understanding of community participation in programme design
- Experience with conflict sensitive approaches to community development is and added advantage
- Experience in planning, monitoring and evaluation in the agricultural sector is an added advantage
- Previous experience working in development organizations is an advantage.
Other Knowledge / Additional Competences:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate adequately with interdisciplinary/multi-institutional teams (units/research organizations, NGOs and Governmental agencies, farmers, their organizations, and donors)
- Team player and constructive attitude responding positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Advanced working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Developed attitude and awareness of service delivery
- Personal Integrity and accountability
- Positive, collaborative and constructive attitude to people and work.
- Composed and good humored even under pressure.
- Open to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Knowledge of local Nigerian languages in the implementation areas is an asset
- According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4.
Application Closing Date
25th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Vacancy No “052B”as the subject of the mail.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.