In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment: Division for the Advancement of Women (DAW) International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women (INSTRAW) Office of the Special Adviser on Gender Issues and Advancement of Women (OSAGI) United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) The main roles of UN Women are: To support inter-governmental bodies, such as the Commission on the Status of Women, in their formulation of policies, global standards and norms. To help Member States to implement these standards, standing ready to provide suitable technical and financial support to those countries that request it, and to forge effective partnerships with civil society. To lead and coordinate the UN system’s work on gender equality as well as promote accountability, including through regular monitoring of system-wide progress.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 3 years
- Location: Abuja
- Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit , Project Management
Duties and Responsibilities
- Expected Deliverables: The consultant will provide support to the Coordination, WPE, and WPS project
- Provide programme support in accordance with the Coordination, WPS, and WPE programme of UN Women
- Participate and contribute to the units’ planning processes for Coordination, WPE, and WPS programme.
- Assist in the development of concept notes, agenda, and other products for Coordination, WPE, and WPS programme.
- Assist in the mobilization of participants and community members for programme activities.
- Provide administrative and documentation support in accordance with the coordination, WPS, and WPE programme of UN Women
- Undertake administrative activities in support of coordination, WPS, and WPE functions
- Take notes at meetings and filing of documentation.
- Prepare letters for programmes and meetings.
Others as assigned
- Support procurement processes for the coordination, WPS, and WPE programme of UN Women
- Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for programmes/projects;
- Prepare procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and project equipment, supplies, and services, as necessary;
- Assist with Partners and Filed Management
- Assist with field processes for maximum outcomes and result
- Maintain activities records and assets of the programme
- Provide input to inventory reports.
- Implement the inventory and physical verification control for the project;
- Arrange shipments and conference facilities.
- Organize logistical services
- Organize hotel and event arrangements for UN Women meetings/ functions, and engagements, ensure that all requirements are catered for as required with operation team guidance
- Support implementing partners and consultants for the project with procurement and logistic functions.
- Perform other administrative/programme tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Core Values:
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Knowledge of programme and project
- Knowledge of procurement processes, systems, administrative rules, and regulations;
- Knowledge in the use of spreadsheets and database packages;
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of a confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good IT and web-based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Completion of secondary education required.
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Social/ management sciences or a related field is an asset;
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in programme, logistics, administration, or related experience
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Management Systems (ERP) is an asset.
- Experience in supporting programme teams.
- Work experience with an International organization and working with other United Nations Common System is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;