Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Job Code: 20000651
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
- This role of the Nutrition Assistant is to provide support to the field Assistants/ community nutrition workers in the Project’s Communities in implementing the nutrition interventions (Community Management of Malnutrition [CMAM] and Infant and Young Child Feeding [IYCF]) while integrating with other sectoral interventions.
- The nutrition Assistant will also work with other agencies providing nutrition services in ensuring linkage of nutrition beneficiaries. Throughout intervention, the Nutrition Assistant will work towards ensuring quality delivery of nutrition interventions in the Project locations.
Key Deliverables Include:
- Ensure quality of nutrition screening for children under-5 conducted by Community Nutrition Mobilizers in target Communities.
- Provision of Outreach OTP Services in target communities together with the outreach team.
- Ensure quality of IYCF counselling sessions provided individual level and group sessions
- With support from the Nutrition Officer, ensure quality cooking food demonstration sessions are conducted in Project supported Communities.
- Ensure that community nutrition interventions (MUAC screening and Referral, IYCF (MSGs, food demonstrations) and hygiene promotion are integrated
- Build capacity of CNMs / field Assistants and Mother Leaders by providing on-the-job training on CMAM and IYCF.
- Support in tom-brown program for MAM children.
- Support Project level nutrition assessment / surveys as approved by Donor.
- Support quality data collection of activities conducted in the Communities.
- Promote increasing awareness of appropriate nutrition behaviours in project communities by ensuring behaviour change materials are visible in FFP supported communities and health facilities.
- Ensure quality and timely reporting on all areas of implementation
- Liaise closely with the MEAL team so as to understand the project outcomes
- Support the development of case studies and success stories from programme implementation.
- Any other additional responsibility as communicated by the supervisor
Qualifications Experience and Skills
- Degree in Nutrition, Health, Public Health or any related fields.
- Must have finished NYSC
- Experience in Nutrition and community based programming will be an added advantage
- Familiarity with the Humanitarian context.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathize with all beneficiaries and their caregivers
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Understands Hausa and Kanuri / Shuwa
- Acceptable IT Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Skills and Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Works closely and constructively with many colleagues at all levels and across cultures, influencing effectively while having little formal authority and to hold peers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a range of stakeholders and able to balance conflicting interests to create shared goals.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Proactive, forward thinker who is able to plan ahead and anticipate requirements and problems
- Maintains a calm disposition and positive outlook when working under pressure.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy as well as with others.
- Fully appreciates of the value of cooperation, both internationally and within a team.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions and cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach.
- Thinks creatively and strategically and translates strategy into practical action.
- Analyses complex information from different sources and to synthesise this information into coherent briefs and communication documents.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence. Displays consistent and excellent judgement.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills with proven experience of relationship management with stakeholders.
- Passion and commitment to the values of Save the Children.
Application Closing Date
28th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.