Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring Evaluation Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Assistant (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Job Ref: 200000L6
Location: Caro, Yobe
Job Type: Full-time
Job: Program Management
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
- The MEAL assistant will work under the supervision of STaR MEAL officer and implementing partner MEAL staff to provide strategic guidance to Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) on The Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR) project.
- S/he will support MEAL activities across all sectors including periodic assessments / surveys and routine gathering of project implementation information collection; s/he will implement efficient systems for accountability to beneficiaries, donors and other stakeholders; s/he will collate and archive project documentation; and foster cross-learning among projects.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL):
- Assist Program Manager and MEAL Officer in facilitation of SMILER / MEAL system workshop at the project start-up.
- Under the supervision of the MEAL officer, promote the use of Information Communication Technology for Development (ICT4D) solutions throughout the project or digital data collection.
- Adapt project specific MEAL tools and carry out field testing where necessary
- Support the development and regular updating of STaR MEAL tools, approaches, and databases.
- Support the MEAL Officer to monitor STaR implementation progress on a regular basis against CRS quality standards and international humanitarian principles through monitoring visits, data quality audits, spot check against reports and review of implementation reports.
- Support implementing partners in collection and analysis of data (method, formats, software, etc.), indicator measurement, feedback and complaint mechanisms, negative impact analysis, etc.
- Provide technical support to STaR partner staff on the implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities, data management and integration of cross-functional issues.
- Support project wide assessments and surveys including baseline and other evaluative surveys.
- Support learning and knowledge management within the STaR project and ensure such best practice is communicated across CRS Nigeria.
- Ensure participatory beneficiary accountability and feedback mechanisms in place are accessible, functional and database updated, used, and reported against.
- Ensure the preparation of periodic reports, documentation, in close collaboration with other team members, particularly with the MEAL department.
- Establish productive working relationships with other STaR team members and supervisors for project implementation
Coordination and Representation:
- Work closely with other STaR staff to liaise with community members, including displaced communities.
- Ensure alignment with other projects being implemented by CRS in the region
- Continuous engagement with community on the use of CRM to provide feedback on STaR project components regularly
- Required Languages – English, Hausa is mandatory, Fulfude is an added advantage.
- Travel – Must be willing to travel up to 75 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good time management skills with ability to work on multiple tasks
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: MEAL Officer, STaR Program Manager II, STaR Program Staff, Program Assistants, STaR Feedback Desk Officer, Head of Office Yobe.
- External: Government ministries departments and agencies, local and international NGOs, coordination platforms and working groups, community leaders and Stakeholders.
- Higher National Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Information Sciences, Statistics or a Monitoring and Evaluation related field.
- 2 years of experience in a MEAL role on development or humanitarian project
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
29th October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online