AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) is an international not for profit NGO, with its Headquarters based in Los Angeles, California. AIDS Healthcare Foundation is registered in Nigeria as Foundation for AIDS Care Prevention and Advocacy but collectively referred to as AHF Nigeria. AHF Nigeria works in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health to provide free HIV/AIDS services; HIV prevention and treatment (ART), capacity building and advocacy in resource constrained settings.
AHF-Nigeria currently operates in 7 states including; Benue, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nasarawa, Kogi, Cross River, Anambra, Akwa Ibom and supports numerous clinics country wide.
We are recruiting a highly competent, dynamic and experienced individual to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Scientist
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports to: Lab Services Manager / State Clinical Coordinator
- Provide laboratory support to AHF supported sites and monitor adherence to standard laboratory protocols and guidelines. Involved in training, support supervision, mentorship, and team building exercises for laboratory staff.
- Directly supervises laboratory technicians and other lab personnel on routine lab assays, demonstrates experience in viral load sample management, automated and semi-automated equipment handling and use (running the Cyflow for CD4+, Chemistry and Hematology machines). Ensures quality management system in the lab and implementation of laboratory services in line with approved QC/QA protocols at supported healthcare centers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides routine and basic laboratory services for PLHIV attending the health facilities as required;
- Supports laboratory services provision, ensures standard, and current practices are in place for maintaining high quality laboratory services including calibration, standardization and maintenance of automated or semi-automated instruments following established procedures.
- Participate in EQA and proficiency testing activities
- Support in ensuring compliance and implementation of laboratory protocols for all lab technicians and assistance involved with the lab function; including maximizing the use of available resources.
- Coordinates with all laboratory vendors (external contractors) and supported sites to ensure that the process of handling patient samples and delivery of results is efficient and effective.
- Participates in the development and replication of the AHF Nigeria laboratory protocols and practices at all affiliated healthcare centers.
- Validates and reports, results of assays performed, delivers patients reports according to times indicated in policy and collection manual and ensuring strict adherence to safety procedures.
- Participates in identifying training needs, capacity building, mentorship and team building exercises for laboratory staff.
- Participates in inventory control management for laboratory supplies and reagents under AHF Nigeria for all supported sites.
- Ensures the compilation of monthly laboratory inventory at the supported Healthcare Centers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- BMLS, AMLSCN
- Experience with handling fully or semi-automated machines a must.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a similar position.
- Must poses a valid license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Duly registered with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria and hold a current annual practicing license.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to travel 30-50% of the time.
- Sensitive to ethics and confidentiality of HIV/AIDS client issues.
- Possess current knowledge of best practices in HIV/AIDS laboratory management,
- Ability to prepare reports, provide team leadership and guidance.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in computer operations.
Application Closing Date
Monday; 25th April, 2022 (5pm).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Application (CV and Cover Letter) as one document to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Also, their application document must be saved in your full name preferably in MS word or PDF format.
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer!