Helen Keller International is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition and diseases of poverty.Cofounded by Helen Keller – and guided by her fierce optimism and belief in human potential – the organization delivers life-changing health solutions to vulnerable families where the need is great but access to care is limited.In the US, Africa, and Asia, Helen Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create opportunities in their own lives and build lasting change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Knowledge Management and Communications Officer
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
- The USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change, and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
- The overall purpose of the project in Nigeria is to provide technical support to the Government of Nigeria, and other nutrition stakeholders and generate evidence to enhance nutrition programming toward achieving the overall goal of improving nutrition for a healthy, productive, and resilient Nigeria
Scope of the Position
- The Knowledge Management and Communications Officer is responsible for developing and implementing the external communication and media strategies of the project, including through the website, social media, newsletters, press contacts, and briefings.
- Work proactively with the project team to identify opportunities for capturing and sharing knowledge and disseminating information about major progress and results; Oversee communication and branding of the project in-country. Maintain and monitor brand integrity across internal and external communications;
- Develop communication materials, including pictures, videos, publications, infographics, short documentaries, promotional materials, etc. Accompany colleagues in the field to capture all relevant media (pictures, videos, short documentaries, success stories, etc.) relating to activities when required;
- Develop and implement communications strategies and work plans, events, and other initiatives in support of the project’s strategic goals;
- Liaise with other project staff to edit, produce and disseminate strategic content for external audiences. Liaise with team members to document and disseminate stories of impact;
- Apply his/her knowledge as well as practical experience in knowledge management concepts and tools, including software applications and IT systems;
- Create collaborative tools to facilitate sharing of ideas that are of use to colleagues,
- beneficiaries and other partners and stakeholders;
- Facilitate hiring local consultants to carry out planned communication activities;
- Ensure a regular link with M&E staff in knowledge generation and dissemination.
- Facilitate the development and field testing of appropriate messages, communication activities, and materials;
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists, and maintain a media database for the project;
- Capture good practices for producing knowledge products and communications materials;
- Conduct capacity needs assessments at state and national levels;
- Develop training plans and budgets;
- Prepare training reports detailing training outcomes; records and data on training conducted.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication and Journalism, Library Science, or any other related subject.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in the field of communication and knowledge management in development projects.
- Demonstrated experience in developing content that clearly communicates ideas and experiences for media, web, graphic designs, print production, and audio-visual productions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirements;
- Knowledge of international development issues, nutrition, and/or maternal and child health-related issues, is highly desirable;
- Proven expertise in developing creative content and effective communications strategies, including social media branding activities;
- Ability to analyze country context and development situation;
- Ability to think strategically about how to shape the same message for different audiences
- Advanced oral and written communication skills: ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear manner and synthesize large volumes of data and/or information into simple meaningful forms
- Prior experience working in the field of Nutrition will be an added advantage;
- Able to work under pressure with minimal supervision and able to meet deadlines;
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and be a good team player;
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentiality;
- Strong communication and IT skills (MS Office, Photoshop, web designing, and other communication-related software).
- Adaptable, creative, collaborative, and able to think strategically.
- Purpose-driven and outcome focused
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to travel regularly to the project states (Bauchi, Kebbi and Sokoto) as needed
Terms & Conditions
- This is a local posting in Nigeria, and as such, is subject to local terms and conditions.
Application Closing Date
10th October, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: This is a local posting in Nigeria, and as such, is subject to local terms and conditions.