The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors..
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Technical Assistant
Job Identification: 3761
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Project number: NGFM2103
Job Category: Education
Reports to: Education Officer
Duration and Type of Contract: 12 months, renewable based on performance and funding
- The Norwegian Refugee Council has been working in northeastern Nigeria since 2015 and began working in Plateau state in 2021. NRC implements Livelihoods and Food Security, Shelter, WASH, Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Education activities benefitting internally displaced returnees and host communities.
- The Education Program supports formal, non-formal and vocational education with funding from ECHO, the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, AFD, GIZ Education Cannot Wait and UNICEF.
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs guide our actions and relationships.
Role and Responsibilities
- The Education Assistant is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of project activities in the field and problem identification and solving.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement activities based on project and program requirements
- Prepare status reports for internal and external reporting
- Ensure proper filing of documents and means of verification
- Identify and share ideas for improvement of the Education program
- Plan and implement program activities in compliance with project log frame, budget, work plan and proposal and with NRC, donor and humanitarian practices.
- Liaise with government education stakeholders for effective coordination
- Mobilize communities to support learning opportunities and educational participation
- Identify and register children and youth for learning activities based on NRC and donor criteria
- Plan, oversee and document the distribution of materials and supplies for learning, verifying that amounts received and distributed and recording any losses.
- Monitor activities and ensure accuracy of data collection and tracking of community feedback and complaints in coordination with NRC’s Protection and Complaints and Feedback Units.
- Ensure that learning spaces are safe for learners and report any protection concerns
- Supervise learning facilitators and enumerators and report performance concerns
- Provide training to teachers on pedagogy, child protection and NRC’s Better Learning Program
- Develop weekly work plans and other key implementation planning documents
- Monitor implementation and provide recommendations to improve the quality of implementation
- Coordinate with other NRC programs, other organizations implementing education activities and actively participate in Education in Emergencies Working Group meetings.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Internal coordination: NRC Shelter, ICLA, WASH, Livelihoods and Food Security, Camp Coordination and Rapid Response staff, Monitoring and Evaluation Department, Protection department.
- External coordination: government education administrators, other NGOs implementing educational activities, communities and community leaders, children, youth, parents.
- Project planning: Education Specialist, Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Education Officer, Education Assistants
- Staff capacity building: Education Specialist, Education Project Manager, Education Officer
- Implementation: Education Officer
- Scale and scope of the position
- Staff: Supervision of nonformal education and vocational education facilitators.
- Coordination: Local education authorities, other NGO staff working in focus areas
- Budget: NA
- Information: NRC intranet
- Legal or compliance: Terms of employment, Code of Conduct
Qualifications / Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field
- At least 2 years experience in a similar position with a national or international NGO or a United Nations organization in the northeast of Nigeria
- Experience in activity planning and budget management
- Experience working with and mobilizing communities
- Fluent English – speaking, reading, writing
- Analytic and computer skills, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Formal or non-formal teaching experience preferred
Context-specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience working in humanitarian or development activities in the northeast of Nigeria
- Fluent spoken Hausa language, with other local languages an advantage
The following behavioural competencies are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual.
- The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework.
Application Closing Date
25th November, 2021 (23:04)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online