The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities where it resettles refugees and helps them become self-sufficient. Composed of first responders, humanitarian relief workers, international development experts, health care providers, and educators, the IRC has assisted millions of people around the world since its founding in 1933.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 2 years
- Location: Adamawa
- Job Field: Media / Advertising / Branding , NGO/Non-Profit
The Communications Officer will support internal and external communications and visibility initiatives for the IRC in Nigeria. Under the guidance of the Senior Advocacy and Communications Manager, the Communications Officer will be responsible for designing and delivering a range of communications products, including country office fact sheets, briefing materials, program success stories, case studies, photos, videos, interviews with clients, blog posts for the IRC’s website, social medial posts and staff profiles. The post holder will be expected to support the development and maintenance of a communications strategy for the country office, train staff on communications approaches, and be accountable for meeting IRC Nigeria’s contractual visibility requirements. The position is supervised by the Senior Advocacy and Communications Manager who will work closely with Grants and Partnerships staff, Field Coordinators, Senior Area Managers, and program staff.
- Implement the IRC Nigeria internal, external and donor communications strategies.
- Liaise with the global communications/advocacy teams to raise awareness of humanitarian needs in Nigeria.
- Lead in designing and developing information and visibility materials, such as fact sheets, briefing papers, brochures, posters, and social media content.
- Advise IRC colleagues on compliance with IRC and donor branding and visibility guidelines as needed.
- Coordinate the sign-off on branded items and products as needed.
- Support to facilitate media/communications/advocacy visits to field bases.
- Proactively seek out interesting stories from programs, initiating or accompanying field visits to collect high-quality photos, quotes, and audio and video material suitable for use in media and communication products.
- Help IRC Country Program staff to proactively prepare for communications’ needs contributing to overall better information flow and coordination of all programming.
- Support the Communications Manager to build IRC and partner capacity on external communications.
- Maintain a database of essential connections and establish a solid working relationship with relevant media practitioners in Nigeria and field locations.
- Maintain communication resource materials and products library inbox.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Line Manager: Senior Advocacy and communications Manager
- Indirect/Technical: Field Coordinator Mubi
- Working Collaboration: Grants, M&E, Programs teams/ Field Coordinators, Global Communications/Advocacy, AMU, and others as appropriate.
- Position directly Supervises: N/A
- Key Internal Contacts: M&E, Grants, Field coordinators, Gblobal Communications/Advocacy and Program Teams
- Key External Contacts: Partners, media contacts, donors, and others as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Communications, Journalism, Humanitarian Affairs, etc.)
Work Experience, Required Technical Skills & Leadership Competencies:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in communications, preferably with a focus on international affairs or issues that cross with the humanitarian sector.
- Experience in communications, journalism or documentation, ideally for an international humanitarian organization.
- Demonstrated experience producing public relations and/or visibility materials in different media.
- Experience with photography, videography, and scriptwriting.
- Experience with websites and blogs
- Experience in conducting trainings and workshops is desirable.
- Experience in developing and delivering comprehensive communications plans.
- Strong written communication and editing skills (including creative writing) with the ability to make complex information and data accessible to non-experts.
- Computer literacy: Proficiency in MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Publishing or other publishing software required with experience in graphic design/layout for publications required.
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure workplace successfully, efficiently, professionally, and calmly on matters that are often difficult and politically sensitive.
- Experience with GIS/map-making
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and prioritize tasks;
- Understanding of the humanitarian context in Nigeria.
- Strong commitment to IRC’s mission, purpose, and values.