Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Capacity Building Advisor
Start date: December 2020 – August 6, 2025
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected states and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria. This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally-derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
- The Capacity Building Advisor will support capacity building and engagement activities in selected states.
- She/he will address gaps in capacity through range of technical assistance, mentoring and peer learning, ensuring sustainable capacity for implementing reforms.
- The Capacity Building Advisor works as a member of the project’s core advisory team and will collaborate closely with other senior advisors in conflict, gender and social inclusion, public financial management, and civic engagement.
- The Capacity Building advisor works to ensure best practices and best fit solutions are leveraged between states.
She / he will:
- Identify and address gaps in capacity of partner states and organizations (including target individuals) through range of technical assistance, mentoring and peer learning
- Ensure sustainable capacity for implementing reforms
- Strengthen individual and institutional capacities for good governance reforms
- Ensure sustainable skills building and knowledge applications
- Help states access and translate Nigeria’s latest reform knowledge to fit local conditions
- Collect and share capacities and knowledge and link State2State staff and partners across states as they identify, test, and refine innovations for possible adaption, replication/scale up.
- Channel project support to build capacity, improve government-civil society information flows, generate reforms, and secure improvements in service delivery in education, health, and WASH
- Provide technical assistance to state and federal level partners
- Build capacity of civil society organizations to manage funds; engage women and youth to develop projects, build conflict mitigation skills, and participate in local government and state planning and budgeting
- Incorporate capacity building into State2State grant process, managing capacity building through trainings as well as applied learning and mentoring; contributing to grantee capacity building plans tailored to the specific needs of grantee organizations
- Carry out any other function(s) as may be assigned by the Line Manager/ Deputy Chief of Party/Chief of Party
- The Capacity Building Advisor will report to the Technical Director.
- A relevant degree in social sciences, development studies, or relevant field required. Master’s degree preferable.
- At least twelve (12) years of demonstrated experience in the conduct capacity assessments and designing appropriate capacity building programming to address the identified capacity gaps to meet project goals
- Stated experience in working for or with civil society and government organizations to drive a reform agenda
- Demonstrated effective training, capacity building and coaching skills, networking, interpersonal skills, creative problem solving, conflict, and ethical management skills.
- Demonstrable experience in managing capacity building aspects of governance programs
- Strong skill set in reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft Office)
- Fluency in English, Hausa and/or other local languages is required
Application Closing Date
4th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: NigeriaGovernance@dai.com using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the email.
- Please list the title of the position and location you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
- Women, people with disabilities and young people are encouraged to apply.