Women for Women International works in some of the most dangerous places to be a woman. We serve women survivors of war in conflict and post-conflict areas around the world in 8 countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Eastern Congo, and Northern Nigeria. Our core belief is that stronger women build stronger nations; and with access to knowledge, resources, and a support network, a woman rebuilds her life and improves her community.
Our model works and we have the data to prove it. In our 26-year history, Women for Women International has reached over half a million women. The women we work with across three continents earn just $0.81 a day when we enroll them. At graduation, it’s $2.11, nearly tripled.
Our impact goes beyond income. The number of women who say at least one household member went to sleep hungry in the last four weeks has gone from 18% to 5%. And more women say they speak out against women’s abuse: 26% report having publicly spoken in the last six months against physically abusing women.
When women have the right tools, they realize the power within themselves to transform their lives, their families, their communities, and entire nations.
Women for Women International has the ambition to significantly increase grant funding to support programming that has proven to be transformative for marginalized women survivors of war in fragile and conflict affected countries. The Associate, Global Business Development will be an important member of an 11-member Global Business Development team, supporting the team in a variety of ways to help meet our global business development goals. The Global Business Development team sits within the Global Programs Unit, which also includes sub-teams focused on program design, monitoring and evaluation, country office support, and grants management.
The location for this position is flexible wherever we have an existing Women for Women Office or hub. The possible locations include: United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan or Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Prospect Research Support
- Support the Senior Officer of Global Business Development with all aspects of BD prospect research globally.
- Keep robust records of all prospects researched and pursued, including through regular upkeep of database entries.
- Research existing grant donors to support the development of repeat business leading to strong and long-term partnerships.
- Prepare briefing documents on all significant new prospects.
Team Wide Support
- Keep up to date on thematic and donor priorities with an eye to how they impact future funding opportunities and help brief teams on donor trends and opportunities
- Other team-wide support as needed.
- Ensure data integrity and information management through accurate and regularly updated Salesforce records.
Proposal Development Support
- Provide research support to proposal development.
- Support on lower level (10k – 50k) restricted proposals to individual, corporate and family donors with guidance as needed from the rest of the team.
- Manage the BD Go No Go process, ensuring it is an effective decision-making tool for the organization in line with strategy and goals.
- Manage bi-weekly business development calls to ensure teams are informed and engaged in discussions about new opportunities.
Donor Engagement Support
- Support with the development of briefings on prospective donors for colleagues ahead of relevant meetings or events.
- Lead on logistical coordination of BD related events aimed at current and prospective BD donors.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required, in a relevant subject, or the equivalent in experience.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in fundraising, preferably in development operations.
- Experience working cross-departmental, cross-country contexts.
- Interest in global humanitarian, development and gender funding environment and future trends.
- Excellent spoken and written English to include research, writing, and communication skills.
- Commitment to and respect for Women for Women International’s mission and values
- Computer skills including working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email.
- Experience with Salesforce required.
- Ability to travel as required and have flexible work schedule which may include early mornings, evenings and weekends. May be required to occasionally work beyond normally scheduled hours.
The duties, responsibilities and activities of this job description may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
About the Organization
Our global core values define how we are to behave as we pursue our mission, our vision, and our strategic objectives:
- Empowerment: We believe every woman is unique and powerful in her own right. Our people areour greatest strength and we will support them to achieve our aims by providing them with the information, rewards and power they need to take the initiative and make decisions to solve problems and improve our delivery and performance. As a learning organization – we encourage our people to take risks and make mistakes, we learn and grow and get better, stronger and
- Integrity: We will never communicate in any way that exploits or demeans the women we exist to serve, we will deliver a program of training that maximizes the impact for the women we serve to bring them the biggest benefits and facilitate the greatest long-term positive change in their we do what we say we are going to do, when we say we’re going to do it. We act as good stewards of the organization’s resources.
- Respect: We believe every woman has the right to be treated with fairness and dignity. we trusteach other implicitly, confident in the knowledge that we are all working towards the same goals. Equally, we hold each other responsible and accountable at all levels of the organization for the outcomes of our actions. We will be bold, clear and kind in our communication with our colleagues across the organization and not allow disrespectful behavior to go unchallenged.
- Resilience: We see every day the strength of women survivors of war and their ability to neverlose hope despite having faced the greatest atrocities and horrors of conflict. They inspire us to stay strong, hopeful, focused and committed to our global purpose. We support each other to do the
How to apply
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience through our careers website: Careers (womenforwomen.org).
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
*This job description may be modified from time to time at the discretion of WfWI*